“You’ll be a rumor. A whisper. The thought that wakes the bastards of this world sweating in the nevernight. The last thing you will ever be in this world, girl, is someone’s hero. But you will be a girl heroes fear.”
~ Nevernight ~
by Jay Kristoff
Page Count: 429 (Hardcover)
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Just to start this off with WHAT HAPPENED TO WORDPRESS’ FORMATTING?? I have no idea how to format my reviews anymore because everything is off kilter. This shall be very interesting LOL. But yeah it took me 3 weeks to finish this freaking book. 3 WEEKS!! And this is also, the second book I finished in the month of August. So far I’ve read three books in August … 3 … This is an actual disgrace to myself. I have never read so little in my entire life like what HAPPENED?? LOL. I have no idea. I need help. Well anyways maybe I should actually get on with the review?! AHAHAHA!
Nevernight is a beautifully unique book. The world, the characters, the WRITING are all beautiful and wonderfully crafted. And in this novel, our main character Mia Covere, is just insane. I love her and her blood thirst. I have a big problem with loving Dark Characters and Mia is the epitome of dark LOL. Honestly, this whole book is dark. Okay but the plot ahahaha, Mia’s parents are murdered by the Illumanti (the like, overlord ruler people of Godsgrave – the main city in Nevernight.) And she is on a mission to get back on the people who murdered her family. She want’s them dead and this what embarks her journey to become a Blade. A Blade is pretty much an Assassin on steroids, they’re crazy insane and they have to go to a school for training. This school is just wicked LOL, no other way to describe it than just wicked. But what is also cool about this world, is that the main religion thing is actual Truth. In this world, there are three suns in the sky and they are the eyes of the God of Light Aa. And the Goddess of Darkness, or the Mother of Blessed Murder is the villain of this story but she has children who she blesses. And Mia just so happens to be one of these Dark children. SO yeah it’s super cool to just see how well the religion plays with the storyline as well, how it affects everyone’s lives, and I just love it!
I love these characters. And Jay wrote them so well. They have so much emotion and they’re back stories are heartbreaking. I CAN’T stress how much I love Mia Covere. Just because she is so bad to the bone and her SASS is out of this world. And I also love Tric too. But uhmmm I wasn’t too attached to him just because I didn’ want to get attached to anyone. The only exception was Mia. Mia is everything. OKAY ALSO! Can we talk about Mister Kindly?! That cat is who I aspire to be. And I’m not a cat fan, I CANT handle IRL cats. But I love fictional cats. They’re my favorite thing ever. AND Mister Kindly is a cat made of shadows which makes him 1000x better.
The writing was something that kind of killed it for me. Now, don’t get me wrong, Jay is a phenomenal author, but there is just something that throws me off so much. And that is the overkill of cuss words. I don’t mind cursing very much, it’s not something that gets my underwear in a bunch like some folks but there was just SO MUCH. And I knew this book was considered Crude but woosh, I didn’t expect it to be Crude 5.0. The reason it took me so long too was just because I didn’t want to read it because I knew the curse words were going to drive me insane. But other than that, this was great!
•”At the heart of it, two kinds of people live in this world or any other: those who flee and those who fight.”
• “When all is blood, blood is all.”
• “Forget the girl who had everything. She died when her father did.”“But I—”“Nothing is where you start. Own nothing. Know nothing. Be nothing.”“Why would I want to do that?” The old man crushed out his cigarillo on the boards between them. His smile made her smile in return. “Because then you can do anything.”
• “Too many books. Too few centuries.”
• “Blood is blood, love,” the Shahiid smiled. “Pigs. Paupers. Cattle. Kings. It makes no difference to Our Lady. It all stains alike. And it all washes out the same.”
• “We are killers, you and I,” he said. “Killers one, killers all. And each death we bring is a prayer. An offering to Our Lady of Blessed Murder. Death as a mercy. Death as a warning. Death as an end unto itself. All of these, ours to know and gift unto the world. The wolf does not pity the lamb. The storm begs no forgiveness of the drowned.”
• “Listen, girl,” Aelius sniffed. “The books we love, they love us back. And just as we mark our places in the pages, those pages leave their marks on us. I can see it in you, sure as I see it in me. You’re a daughter of words. A girl with a story to tell.”
• “This makes you who you are.”She punched the slab of muscle above his heart. “This.”She slapped him atop his head. “These.”The girl took hold of his hands, knelt in front of him, staring into the boy’s eyes. “Slavemarks. Tattoos. Scars. What you look like doesn’t change who you are inside. They can give you a new face, but they can’t give you a new heart. No matter what they take from you, they can’t take that away unless you let them. That’s real strength, Tric. That’s real power.”
Okay so I know my friend Emma is going to try to expose me because I said I didn’t enjoy this very much. But the more I think about it, I think of how much a genius Jay Kristoff is and … I’m pretty much eating my words since I think it was a well crafted book. Ever since I finished two nights ago, all I want to do is go and start reading again because I want more Mia and her brutalness. GODSGRAVE (book two) please come to me as soon as possible. Thank you. But anyways, if you haven’t read this, then I’d say proceed with caution. LOL. And at least give it a try since it is great!
I hope y’all have a great day and Happy Reading!